Lead Back-End Developer
To lead the back-end design, structure and development at Sharesies. This includes and is not limited to:
- Provide leadership, support and guidance for the backend team
- Engage with other teams at an early stage in the problem/solution lifecycle
- Implement new features in collaboration with our product, infrastructure and operations teams
- Lead and support projects to improve the security and resilience of the platform
- Help provide technical direction working closely with the CTO and the Chief Product Engineer
- Manage your own task queue and deadlines in collaboration with the CTO
- Pitching in on whatever is needed.
What you’ll do
You’ll become an expert in all things back-end at Sharesies. You’ll lead the way we structure and develop our back-end as we scale, focusing on keeping our systems secure and reliable for our customers.
You’ll be working across functions so being comfortable with change and adapting to different working styles is a must.
Reports to: CTO
Internal: CTO, Chief Product Engineer, Development teams, Design, Product and the Sharesies team
External: Investment suppliers, External Advisors, Technology Partners, Regulatory
This position description is intended merely as a guideline of the responsibilities involved in the position. The employee is expected to perform any other duties as reasonably required by their Manager.
A bit about you
You're a coder with solid experience building web-based stuff. You're self-motivated and good at taking a task and running with it. But you’ll chat with people when needed to make sure you’re producing the right solution.
You're a capable developer in Python and PostgreSQL.
You enjoy working with others to find solutions, you're enthusiastic, positive and patient with a real focus on enabling others to do their best work.
You're a fan of good documentation and enjoy writing it.
Most importantly you're keen to dig in and help, contributing a cheerful, inclusive vibe within the technical team and Sharesies as a whole.
- Solid development skills in Python
- Good understanding of PostgreSQL
- Keen learner
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good communication and people skills, including mentoring and reviewing work.
- Understanding of web application security
Nice to have:
Knowledge of any of:
- AWS platform in general (EC2, ECS, S3, ELB, RDS etc)
- Financial / investing systems
Based in Wellington (or keen to be)
Our purpose is to create a more financially empowered generation. We believe that everyone deserves the chance to live the life they choose. Everyone deserves the right to be able to grow their wealth, and everyone should be able to invest. We’re developing a new generation of investors, one pay-day a time.
In a little over two years, we've helped over 60,000 people invest over $85m. We've made investing engaging, accessible and straight-up for realsies.
Oh, hang on a minute! We're also Wellington's latest Gold awards recipient for “Cyber Gold” and Deloitte Fast 50 “Rising Star”.
We're looking for a lead back-end developer to add to our technical leadership team, someone who enjoys leading the whole process of discovery, communication and development.
We're looking specifically for people who want to feel pride in their work and pride in the impact that they're making.
- Although money is a part of everyone’s lives, most people have a negative relationship with money, we change this by creating loveable customer experiences.
- Good ideas can come from everywhere in the business—it is not to dictate, but facilitate.
- Good culture is more than just having a ping pong table — we’re pretty new and looking for someone with a great attitude to grow with us. P.S. we don’t have a ping pong table….yet ;)
- Always Care. Care for each other, our customers and ourselves.
- Chase Remarkable. Make it loveable, be bold, take risks and set a new benchmark of achievement.
- In it Together. Value the team and have each other’s back.
What we offer in return:
- The opportunity to make a real difference to how people manage their money and growing the wealth of everyday New Zealanders. We provide a supportive, encouraging and collaborative environment. We work hard, have fun, enjoy a good laugh and have each other's backs.
- We're a place that values people and what they bring to the table—their personality and their skills. We appreciate great work, and love working with people who do too.
- We're a growth company—we all pitch in to drive exceptional outcomes. We support each other to move fast and lean.
- Everyone contributes to the culture at Sharesies, and It’s how we can create work around the life you want to have.
- An inner-city office—we're getting all the bells and whistles ready in our new CBD space. Loads of natural light and is close to loads of good coffee, bars and eats.
- Fostering curiosity—in your job and within the business. If there's something that has piqued your interest, follow it! Who knows where it will lead?